Wednesday, December 1, 2010

RI Sims







Here comes the hurt. RI’s are going to be painful. Long days of staring at the instrument panel, and even longer days due to the studying required in order to be prepared for the flights and the preceeding briefs. This is the hardest part of flight school. They say (instructors) that you will do more instrument flying here in Advanced than you will do in the fleet. I am glad. I can’t stand RI’s. They are the reason I picked helicopters in the first place. Having your face in the cockpit with no outside reference isn’t a lot of fun, who would want to fly like that? (Airline pilots). Something about being able to see where you are going, you know? Back in BI sims you flew with an instructor in the left seat (co-pilot). Here in RI’s they pick a student for you to fly with, and you take turns “playing” pilot and co-pilot. I was fortunate enough to get a partner of my choosing, so my buddy Zach Moorer and I got to fly together. We are both strong personalities, so sometimes we would clash in the cockpit. Nothing outlandish, but sometimes funny… and we always left it in the trainer. We had a beer bet going on who would crash the most autos (autorotative landing). He is like an idiot savant when it comes to landing those things… and I’m a sore loser. In RI sims you fly multiple approaches and practice making radio calls to the instructor who is orchestrating the simulator environment from his console in the back. RI sims were actually fun. Enjoy the pics, more to come.


JR… out.

4 comments:

Arthur said...

Your helmet has what, 8 Jan 2011 on it? Is this a graduation date? Good luck!

JR Walsh said...

Not quite Arthur. That is just when my helmet is due for inspection. I should finish the last week in Feb.

Arthur said...

Cool, I was just curious and probably a little excited for ya. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

If you want to read a great book about some close brushes with disaster experienced by a Naval Aviator at the dawn of Navy jets, and how he escaped those disasters, check out "Near Misses: A Naval Aviator's Story" by Paul Allen Riley on Amazon.com