Monday, July 12, 2010

HT-8 Ballers

Last week I had my first week of training in my new squadron, HT-8.  The "Eight Ballers" is one of three helicopter training squadrons at NAS Whiting field.  The others being HT-28 and HT-18.  I am currently in Aero class (aerodynamics) learning that helicopters probably shouldn't fly.  Seriously, the amount of moving parts and craziness that goes into making one of these things move is amazing.  I can't wait to get in the air.  One more week of class, one week of CPT's (a static trainer that you practice emergency procedures in) and then I should be getting close to flying the real thing.  More pics to come once I actually start doing something worth posting about. This was a quote we read in class, it made me laugh...

“Like all novices we began with the helicopter but soon saw it had no future and dropped it. The helicopter does, with great labor, only what the balloon does without labor, and is no more fitted than the balloon for rapid horizontal flight. If its engine stops, it must fall with deathly violence, for it can neither float like a balloon nor glide like an airplane. The helicopter is much easier to design than an airplane, but it is worthless when done.”

-Wilbur Wright

Awesome.

JR... out.

8 comments:

Arthur said...

Hopefully they won't keep you on the ground too much longer! Good luck...

JR Walsh said...

Thanks Arthur... how is your stuff going? I just heard from a couple friends, both leaving for OCS in September, 1 pilot, 1 NFO.

Arthur said...

Another Semester down and another one starts in two weeks. Fitting in some ASTB study time when I can, working out on my lunch breaks at work and trying to get a Recruiter to pay me a little attention. All in All - its trucking right along but I turned 27 on Friday so the clock has just sped up a little more.

JR Walsh said...

Hurry up old man! ;)

Arthur said...

Dude, you're getting nailed by spam! Long time no post, hope training is moving right along for you!

JR Walsh said...

Yeah, sorry Arthur. Posts coming soon, been really busy. Hopefully I'll have some good pics by the end of the week. Talk soon brother.

怡靜怡靜怡靜怡雯 said...

嘿,你的部落格不錯哦!............................................................

SadeRa盈君iford0412 said...

肯定與支持你!!!加油囉~..................................................