Thursday, June 25, 2009

Initial Flight Screening






IFS. Initial Flight Screening. I was lucky enough to get selected for Bay Minette, Alabama for my training. Bay Minnete is a small town about an hour and a half drive one way from my apartment. If it wasn't for the long haul, it would be a cool place to train... but the drive makes it almost unbearable (we fly or ground school 6 days a week). The IFS program is supposed to screen pilots and navigators for the military so that if they find out you are not cut out for an aviation career, then Navy doesn't waste a bunch of money on you. Basically it is a week of 7 hour a day classes and on that weekend you start flying the Cessna 172 (like in the pics above). You are required to take the FAA exam sometime early the next week, and must pass with an 80% or better. Most people who don't have flight experience at all (like myself) study between 2-5 hours a day. I take my FAA exam tomorrow- I am a little nervous, but overall just want to get it over with so I can concentrate on learning how to land the damn airplane. I have flight 5 (actually my 4th flight, flights 1/2 are combined) tomorrow as well and I am hoping to get that landing thing down a little better. Might be a good idea. I should solo early next week, and be done with IFS sometime early the week after that. I will take some more pics ofthe 172's and of me flying once I get a little more comfortable. Well, enough playing on the internet... back to studying.

JR... out.

No comments: